Wednesday 8 June 2011

A shopping bag with a retro touch - Part 2

Now, lets move on to the outer bag.
I wanted my bag to be sturdy and able to stand on its own.
I used Vilene S 520 as reinforcement. This is a firm and fusible interfacing.

I cut this S520 1 cm smaller than the pattern, all around. This makes stitching and turning the bag easier and gives seams which are less bulky.
I fused it to the wrong side of the exterior fabric and added a layer of Vilene H 250 interfacing on top (using the complete pattern). Now I will have a bag with structure!
Next, I stitched the 2 side panels together, WSO, along the side seam.
Then it was a challenge to attach the base of the bag to the side panels.  This was probably due to the Vilene S520  attached to the base piece. Even when basted by hand and using the zipper foot, the 2 pieces slipped away. In the end I got a reasonable result. Next time , I will try another method.
I added purse feet to protect the base.



I attached the leather handles to the outer bag  by hand  , using quilting thread.
My outer bag was ready!
All there was left to do is bringing the lining and outer bag together.
I inserted the lining bag, with top edge folded down,   in the outer bag , also with a folded top edge. Both wrong sides should be facing each other. 
I carefully matched and pinned the top edges and topstitched all around, including my strap with key-hook.
As a finishing touch, I added a lovely ribbon trim.
This picture represents best the real colour of the bag.
Here is the end result:


A bag with a sea of space!
Looking back at the picture of the bag , from which I took the pattern; you see that depending on the choice of fabric, interfacing and embellishments, you get a totally different bag.
I love this one.
Kristien

1 comment:

  1. Pellon is introducing 520 under the name Deco-Shape shortly. Look for it at your local quilt and fabric shop

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...